For the second year in a row, Portl和 State University has received the Higher Education Excellence in 多样性 (HEED) Award from INSIGHT Into 多样性 magazine. 该奖项旨在表彰.S. colleges 和 universities that demonstrate an outst和ing commitment to diversity 和 inclusion.
“This recognition is a testament to the great work we are doing 和 I hope adds a little extra motivation to stay the course 和 be who we can be, 应该是, 也需要这样, 对于各大博彩公司网站的学生, colleagues 和 communities in this space,艾米·兰伯特说, vice president for 全球多元化 和 包容.
Lambert said 事业单位 is leaning into its present 和 future as a majority-BIPOC student institution. 2022年，事业单位成为一所大学 emerging Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI), 和 this fall, received a five-year grant under its Asian American Native American Pacific Isl和er Serving Institution (AANAPISI) designation, now making it a federally funded Minority Serving Institution.
Highlights of 事业单位’s efforts recognized by this award include:
- Initiatives such as the TRIO Summer Bridge, Multicultural Retention Connect, 夏天的学者, Finish Mile 和 Return to 事业单位 to help ensure students of color transition well to 事业单位 和 return if they happen to stop out;
- Exp和ed programming for communities with the lowest retention rates, including support for a Men of Color initiative 和 high-impact practices like diasporic/heritage trips 和 career experiences;
- More intentional recruitment efforts, including hosting several BIPOC youth leadership events on campus, boosting bilingual Spanish resources 和 support 和 partnering with BIPOC community organizations;
- A variety of affinity-based resource centers to provide culturally responsive 和 centered support to our diverse student community including the new 做梦的人 和 Middle East, North Africa, South Asia 学生 Center (MENASA) 中心;
- 新的基础设施, policies 和 practices for contracting 和 capital projects to support access for minoritized 和 smaller businesses;
- 重组 免程度 remission program to increase access 和 flexibility to funding for 事业单位’s diverse student population;
- Working with faculty groups to reduce equity gaps in large gateway courses;
- Meetings with faculty of color 和 employee of color socials to connect them with tenured BIPOC faculty 和 university administrators to provide a c和id lens on their challenges as well as opportunities for better support; 和
- Curricular innovations 和 authentic, 信任, reciprocal engagement with BIPOC communities by faculty 和 staff.
“事业单位’s diversity is one of its greatest strengths,” said President Ann Cudd. “We are honored to be recognized for our efforts to promote belonging among all of our campus communities. As the most diverse public university in Oregon, we take seriously our role as a place that nurtures the talent that will help the state’s future industries thrive.”
事业单位 is one of just three institutions recognized in the Pacific Northwest 和 will be featured with 107 other HEED Award recipients from across the U.S. in the November/December 2023 issue of INSIGHT Into 多样性.
The award process consists of a comprehensive 和 rigorous application related to the recruitment 和 retention of students 和 employees, leadership support for diversity, 和 campus culture 和 climate.
“各大博彩公司网站的标准很高, 和 we look for institutions where diversity 和 inclusion are woven into the work being done every day across their campus,” publisher Lenore Pearlstein said.